Surf Camp & COVID-19

(This page will be updated as the situation develops. Last update: May 23rd – 11:45am)

MAY 23 – 11:45am UPDATE

Last week we conducted a survey of our enrolled campers to determine the interest in opening camp. We also received guidance from the state and in response to that guidance have developed a Covid-19 Operating Strategy that we believe will allow us to operate safely in a limited capacity.

As a result of overwhelming positive feedback from parents, and the review of guidance and development of health and safety plans, we have made the decision that Surf Camp will open for 2020 with some size reductions and operational changes.

If you are signed up for day camp, you have already received communications regarding our plans.

If you are signed up for or interested in Adult Surf Camp or Surf Lessons, please note the following:

  • Participants must meet state of Maine 14-day self quarantine rules.
  • Participants must respect new operating procedures that will be shared in the coming weeks.
  • Participants will need to complete new indemnity waivers.
  • All participants will be required to complete a health check each day upon arrival for their program.

Our number one priority is the health and safety of our participants, employees, and broader community and we are taking many steps to have a safe season!

MAY 13 – 8am UPDATE

We wanted to give a quick update to everyone in the Surf Camp community. We are STILL awaiting guidance from the State of Maine (expected this week) on what re-opening requirements for Day Camps will look like, which will be very important for us in determining how we re-open, what that looks like, and if it is feasible. We are cautiously hopeful and currently planning accordingly for a modified season.

All enrolled Day Camp participants should expect to receive an important email from us later in the week. We will be sending out a COVID-19 Planning Survey that will be a crucial component of our re-opening strategy.


We know that the current pandemic situation is at that top of your minds and want you to know that preparing for and responding to these events is also our current top priority at Surf Camp.

As a result of the ongoing pandemic situation, Surf Camp is forming various contingency and health safety plans for the Summer 2020 season. No final decisions have been made at this time as to what changes will need to be implemented or whether the season will proceed as scheduled. We will follow the health and safety guidance issued by state and local health authorities as that guidance becomes clear.

We are currently developing plans for the following scenarios:

  • Full Season of Camp: if the health situation continues to improve and we are able to operate a full season of camp, we are developing plans and protocols to decrease health risks at camp. These plans, while still under development, include new drop-off and pick-up protocols, new health screening measures prior to the start of camp, enhanced cleaning and decontamination procedures for camp equipment, additional health safety training for staff, and adaptations to our in-water teaching methods.
  • Limited Camp Season: we are developing contingency plans to open camp later in the summer if necessary, and considering the possibility that depending on the health situation, the size of camp may need to be reduced to allow for additional physical distancing measures or in response to guidelines from the state health department.
  • No Camp Season: in the event that camp is not able to open because of the health situation, in addition to thinking about how we can make 2021 the best season of camp ever, we have developed an updated refund policy including credits for the 2021 season.

In the meantime, we are continuing to accept enrollments for the 2020 season. However, because of the current unknowns, we have stopped requiring or requesting full payments to hold reservations. We have also temporarily stopped accepting payments for balances on 2020 camp tuition and developed a specific COVID-19 Refund & Cancellation Policy. Our policy is as generous as possible, yet still bound by the financial realities and uncertainties created by the crisis.

Please feel free to reach out at any time with your questions or concerns, and we will continue to update this page as more information and guidance becomes available.

We hope you and your families are staying healthy and safe and we can’t wait to see you all on the beach sooner rather than later!